Thursday, December 18, 2008

Our thumb sucker

McKinley has sucked her thumb since before she was born, (we watched her doing it on some of the ultra sounds we had) and we are not sure when it will end. But, the other day she asked me if someone we know has lots of cavities? I said no those are braces and explained what they were for and the process. I told her she would probably need them one day because she sucks her thumb. She said "I'm never going to do that again"
We have definitely seen it happening less and less. Usually it is at bedtime or when she is board, but if she hears the word "braces" she stops instantly. I do have to say that she has been my only easy baby. The doctor said to just let her suck her thumb cuz they make the best babies. He was right, at 6 weeks she would sleep 12 hours at night, and when she would wake up in the middle of that, she would just suck her thumb back to sleep. If you ask her who was mommy's best baby, she will proudly tell you she was. She also has to pinch the skin on the opposite arm or hand with the fingers of the hand that she has in her mouth. It is quite a comfort thing for her. Kinda wondering what to do, or if I should just let her grow out of it.

No comments: